The chair of Electrical Power Systems uses classical methods of power engineering as well as adapted strategies for the grid integration of decentralized power plants with renewable sources. A focus lies on the integration of energy converters and the resulting topics “grid identification” and “future grid operation with decentralized power generation”. These issues are part of the interdisciplinary research cluster “Sustainable Power Supply”, in which the chair of Electrical Power Systems is significantly involved. There are numerous research projects in the field of grid impedance measurement on low-voltage, medium-voltage and high-voltage level as well as in the integration of energy storage in power grids.
Another joined interdisciplinary research cluster at Helmut Schmidt University is “Aeronautics Research”. Topics with the subject sustainability, which the chair of Electrical Power Systems deals with in this cluster, are developments for future onboard grids of aircraft, including the integration of fuel cells.
The scientific spectrum of the professorship includes measurements with corresponding simulations as well as the development of new simulation tools for special operating cases in power grids.
The Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Hamburg elected Prof. Schulz in 2011 as a Full member. His task is to strengthen the focus of the Academy in the field of energy research.
Since 2019 he is a spokesman of the working group “Hydrogen for the North German Energy System“.
Interdisciplinary Research Cluster at Helmut Schmidt University
The chair of Electrical Power Systems takes part in the following research clusters of HSU:
Research areas of the Department of Electrical Power Systems
- Electrical power systems — Modelling and grid computation, smart grids, stand-alone power systems detection
- Grid identification — Simulation and measurement of frequency-dependent grid impedance
- Electromobility — Optimisation of charging infrastructure and integration into grid
- Multimodal energy systems — Sector coupling, hydrogen, fuel Cells, electrolysis
- More Electric Aircraft — Aircraft electrical systems, power management, integration of fuel cells, 3D-printing
- Other projects dedicated to energy supply systems and wind energy
- Hamburger Hochbahn AG
- Verkehrsbetriebe Hamburg-Holstein GmbH
- Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Hamburg
- Forschungsnetzwerk Energie – Stromnetze
- Energy Research Network Hamburg (Energieforschungsverbund Hamburg)
- Cluster Renewable Energy Hamburg
- Hamburg Aviation e.V.
- Stromnetz Hamburg GmbH
- Fördergesellschaft Windenergie und andere Dezentrale Energien – FGW e.V.
- Energieforen Leipzig GmbH
- Airbus Operations GmbH
- hySOLUTIONS GmbH
- Zentrum für Angewandte Luftfahrtforschung – ZAL GmbH
Laboratory and Research Equipment
- Grid laboratory
- Wind energy laboratory
- High voltage laboratory
- Photovoltaic laboratory
- Grid impedance measurement container
- Hydrogen and fuel cell laboratory
- Aircraft electrical on-board system laboratory
- Laboratory for electromobility and medium voltage tests
- Electric vehicles
- Conduct scientific studies
- Metrological assignment of network disturbances
- Analysis of power failures / supply interruptions
- Fault measurements with a scientific character
- Measuring programs in sensitive consumer structures
- Long-term measurements of network perturbations
- Modeling of operating states and errors in networks
- Scientific consulting services
- Preparation of reports
- Energy days at schools
Letzte Änderung: 14. May 2021