Last update: December 07, 2017.
If you’re looking for optimization challenges/ competitions in Operations Research (and some related fields), this is the place to be. Here, we keep track of currently ongoing and past events. Quite frequently, different communities are involved in those events (people from Operations Research, (Meta-) Heuristics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Constraint Programming, …). As a corollary, having a central page might help disseminating announcements.
To be clear: We are not the organizers, but collect information on such projects.
Organizers: Please send us an email if we did miss your competition and you want to be listed (or if you want to be unlisted). Our work is free of charge, of course.
Note: the deadlines below are a rough orientation. Please consult the official webpage for official announcements.
- WCCI 2018 Competitions: http://www.ecomp.poli.br/~wcci2018/competitions/
Deadline: January 15, 2018.
- The Ninth International Planning Competition, 2018: http://www.icaps-conference.org/index.php/Main/Competitions
Deadline: January 31, 2018.
- Mathematical Competitive Game 2017-2018 of the FFJM, Distribution of Goods: http://www.scmsa.eu/archives/SCM_FFJM_Competitive_Game_2017_2018.pdf
Deadline: April 30th, 2018.
- The Parameterized Algorithms and Computational Experiments Challenge PACE:
2018, Steiner Tree on an undirected edge-weighted graph: https://pacechallenge.wordpress.com/pace-2018/
Deadline: May 1st, 2018.
- Grid Optimization Competition: https://gocompetition.energy.gov/competition/current-competition
Runs from 2017 until 2020, comprises several phases.
- Fédération Française des jeux Mathématiques FFJM: http://www.ffjm.org/
- Kaggle: http://www.kaggle.com
- Topcoder: http://www.topcoder.com
- OPTIL.io: https://www.optil.io/optilion/home
- recomputation.org: http://www.recomputation.org/
We know that there will be a VeRoLog Solver Challenge in 2018-2019, probably under this site (finals: summer 2019, Seville, Spain).
Also, the organizing team of the EURO/ROADEF Challenge is preparing something, which you probably will find here.
Moreover, GECCO 2018 is likely to have some competitions.
- VeRoLog Solver Challenges
- 2016-2017, Vehicle Routing with Scarce, Reusable Resources: https://verolog.ortec.com/
- 2015, the Coach Trip with Shuttle Service Problem: https://www.euro-online.org/websites/verolog/news/verolog-solver-challenge-2015/
- 2014, the Swap Body Vehicle Routing Probem: https://www.euro-online.org/websites/verolog/verolog-solver-challenge-2014/
- (EURO/)ROADEF Challenges: http://challenge.roadef.org/2016/en/index.php
- EURO/ROADEF Challenge 2016, Inventory Routing Problem: http://challenge.roadef.org/2016/en/
- EURO/ROADEF Challenge 2014, Trains don’t vanish!: http://challenge.roadef.org/2014/en/
- EURO/ROADEF Challenge 2012, Machine Reassignment: http://challenge.roadef.org/2012/en/
- EURO/ROADEF Challenge 2010, a large-scale Energy Management Problem with varied constraints: http://challenge.roadef.org/2010/en/
- Challenge ROADEF 2009, Disruption Management for Commercial Aviation: http://challenge.roadef.org/2009/en/
- Challenge ROADEF 2007, Technicians and Interventions Scheduling for Telecommunications: http://challenge.roadef.org/2007/en/
- Challenge ROADEF 2005, Car Sequencing problem: http://challenge.roadef.org/2005/en/
- Challenge ROADEF 2003, Management of the Missions of the Earth Observation Satellites: http://challenge.roadef.org/2003/en/
- Challenge ROADEF 2001, Frequency Assignment Problem with Polarization constraints: http://challenge.roadef.org/2001/en/
- Challenge ROADEF 1999, an Inventory Management Problem: http://challenge.roadef.org/1999/en/
- ACP Challenge 2016 on the Torpedo Scheduling Problem: http://cp2016.a4cp.org/program/acp-challenge/
- ESICUP – Renault Container Loading Challenge: http://challenge-esicup-2015.org/ (page is offline, but there is some information here: https://paginas.fe.up.pt/~esicup/extern/esicup-12thMeeting/pmwiki.php?n=Conference.Info)
- MISTA Challenge 2013: https://gent.cs.kuleuven.be/mista2013challenge/
- Nurse Rostering Competitions
- Timetabling Competitions
- DIMACS Implementation Challenges: http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Challenges/
- The Eleventh DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 2014, Steiner Tree Problems
- The Tenth DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 2012, Algorithm Implementation Challenge: Graph Partitioning and Graph Clustering
- The Ninth DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 2005-2006, The Shortest Path Problem
- The Eighth DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 2001, The Traveling Salesman Problem
- The Seventh DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 2000, Semidefinite and Related Optimization Problems
- The Sixth DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1998, Near Neighbor Searches
- The Fifth DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1995-1996, Priority Queues, Dictionaries, and Multi-Dimensional Point Sets
- The Fourth DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1994-1995, Two Problems in Computational Biology: Fragment Assembly and Genome Rearrangements
- The Third DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1993-1994, Effective Parallel Algorithms for Combinatorial Problems
- The Second DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1992-1993, NP Hard Problems: Maximum Clique, Graph Coloring, and Satisfiability
- The First DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1990-1991, Network Flows and Matching
- Santa’s Uncertain Bags (2017): https://www.kaggle.com/c/santas-uncertain-bags
- Santa’s Stolen Sleigh (2016): https://www.kaggle.com/c/santas-stolen-sleigh
- Helping Santa’s Helper (2015): https://www.kaggle.com/c/helping-santas-helpers
- Packing Santa’s Sleigh (2014): https://www.kaggle.com/c/packing-santas-sleigh
- Traveling Santa Problem (2013): http://www.kaggle.com/c/traveling-santa-problem
- Parameterized Algorithms and Computational Experiments Challenge PACE: https://pacechallenge.wordpress.com/
- 2017: Tree width / minimum fill-in
- 2016: Tree width / feedback vertex set
- International Optimisation Competition on the Magic Square Problem, November 2011: http://www.solveitsoftware.com/competition.jsp (page is offline, but there is some information here: http://www.yuribykov.com/IOC/)
- GECCO and CEC Competitions:
- 2017: http://gecco-2017.sigevo.org/index.html/Competitions
- Black Box Optimization Competition BBComp (also listed under the GECCO), 2015-2017: https://bbcomp.ini.rub.de/
- Optimisation of Problems with Multiple Interdependent Components (also listed under the CEC):
- Special Session & Competition on Real-Parameter Single Objective Optimization at CEC-2013: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/EPNSugan/index_files/CEC2013/CEC2013.htm
- Generalization-based contest in Global Optimization GenOpt:
- Cross-domain Heuristic Search Challenge CHeSC (2011): http://www.asap.cs.nott.ac.uk/external/chesc2011/index.html
- Global Trajectory Optimization Competitions GTOC (since 2005): https://sophia.estec.esa.int/gtoc_portal/
- Wind Farm Layout Optimization Competition
- Cimpress Tech Challenge on efficiently covering a grid with squares: http://archive.is/Ifi73 and https://cimpress.com/blog/2015/06/26/cimpress-tech-challenge-winner-dimitar-blagoev/
- Vistaprint 3-D-bin-packing competition: see some discussion here http://www.i-programmer.info/news/204-challenges/7829-10k-contest-to-solve-a-problem-worth-millions.html and follow this link to the winning source code: https://github.com/zuwalski/vistaPickPack
While the above mentioned challenges are more related to optimization, there are other places of interest, too: SAT, Max-SAT, planning, etc.
Of course, there is an overlap with optimization as it is understood in the competitions above, but we chose to present them in another category. Apologies for not listing everything. We know that there are also many competitions in robotics (planning).
- ICAPS Competitions: http://www.icaps-conference.org/index.php/Main/Competitions
- SAT Competitions (since 2002): http://www.satcompetition.org/
- MiniZinc Challenge (since 2008): http://www.minizinc.org/challenge.html
- SAT Races
- SAT Challenge 2012: https://baldur.iti.kit.edu/SAT-Challenge-2012/index.html
- Answer Set Programming Competitions
- 2015: http://aspcomp2015.dibris.unige.it/
- 2014: https://www.mat.unical.it/aspcomp2014/FrontPage
- 2013: https://www.mat.unical.it/aspcomp2013
- 2011: https://www.mat.unical.it/aspcomp2011/FrontPage
- 2009: https://dtai.cs.kuleuven.be/events/ASP-competition/index.shtml
- 2007: https://asparagus.cs.uni-potsdam.de/contest/index.php
- FLoC Olympic Games 2014: http://vsl2014.at/olympics/index.html
- Configurable SAT Solver Challenge 2013: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/beta/Projects/CSSC2013/index.html
- Macoosi International Software Competition 2012: http://www.mancoosi.org/misc/
- CADE ATP System Competition (The World Championship for Automated Theorem Proving): http://www.cs.miami.edu/~tptp/CASC/
- Pseudo-Boolean Evaluation:
- 2016: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB16/
- 2015: http://pbeva.computational-logic.org/
- 2012: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB12/
- 2011: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB11/
- 2010: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB10/
- 2009: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB09/
- 2007: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB07/
- 2006: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB06/
- 1st, 2005: http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/PB05/
- Syngenta Crop Challenges: https://www.ideaconnection.com/syngenta-crop-challenge/
- Phase-X-Challenge on open pit mining (2016): https://portal.unearthed.solutions/competitions/phase-x-challenge
- 5th JILP Workshop on Computer Architecture Competitions (2016): https://www.jilp.org/cbp2016/